Monday, October 6, 2014

Legend of Korra Book 4 Premiere Review

The Legend of Korra Book 4: Balance
Premiere Review

The Legend of Korra Book 4 premiered last Friday. I have loved the series since its creation. I was also filled with glee once I heard that the final season would premiere as early as October third! Anyway, here are my thoughts on this season’s first episode.

SPOILERS!!

The Time Leap

This season takes place three years after the events of Book 3, and many things have changed since we last saw team Avatar.

The time jump is the largest one in the series’ history. I originally thought that the jump was just for the benefit of the writers, serving as a plot device to eliminate the need for detailed story telling.

I was wrong.

The time jump is actually one of the most interesting things about this season. It adds a sense of “unknown” to the show. I’m sure every episode will reveal something new.

Kuvira Is Awesome

I’m not sure there can be a better villain than Zaheer. I mean c’mon, the only many to “become wind” since Guru Laghima was one of the most interesting and powerful bad guys in Avatar history.

Nevertheless, Kuvira is amazing. She is the first female antagonist in the Korra series. She is a metal bender with a very unique style of bending. Essentially, Kuvira is armed with a rack of metal bands that hang on her back. She fires off these bands of metal to blindfold, gag, and handcuff her enemies.

In this season, Kuvira is trying to unite the Earth Kingdom under her army. Some people like her methods, while others want the Earth Prince to take over.

Regardless, Kuvira is a force to be reckoned with.

While I don’t think Kuvira will be a better female villain than Azula, I am excited to see how she matures into more of threat.

Korra is Sad… and has Short Hair
Korra is absent from the episode until the last minute and a half. She is shown with her hair cut in a Earth Bending cage fight.

Basically, she gets her butt handed to her by some random Earthbending girl. Later, she walks away from the ring with a bruised face.

I like the idea of an Avatar who is too broken to be the Avatar. Still, I want Korra to make a quick recovery and get back to fighting like a pro. Apparently the second episode revolves around what happened to Korra during the three years. I look forward to it.

The Airbenders are Superheroes

Air nation has grown in the years gone by, and they now travel the world doing the Avatar’s work. Now equipped with fancy wingsuits, the Airbenders are like the vigilantes of the Avatar world.

We get a good look at Opal and Kai’s newfound skills a couple of times in the episode. I cannot wait to see how the older Airbenders behave in the upcoming episodes.

Award Time!!
Best New Character: Kuvira

Best Returning Character: Milo (the man)

Best Fight Scene in This Episode: The Kuvira Train Fight

Funniest Character in This Episode: Prince Wu (Earth Prince)

Conclusion

This episode left me anxiously anticipating the rest of the season. I give the Book 4 premiere a 9.5/10. Please watch it if you haven’t already.

No comments: