Saturday, December 27, 2014

Death Punch'd by Jeremy Spencer Review: It's Decent

Death Punch’d Review

Five Finger Death Punch is one of my favorite bands. So when I heard that the drummer from FFDP, Jeremy Spencer, had written a memoir, I knew I had to read it.

So I did, and here are my thoughts on the book.

Plot

Jeremy has had a troubled life. In his book, he writes of all the mistakes he’s made, his trouble with drug addiction, and of course, his climb to fame.

The book is well organized, with every other chapter jumping from Spencer’s early life to his later years as the drummer of Five Finger.

Note: If this book had a rating, it would be rated R. Seriously, this book isn’t for kids.

I think the best way I can describe the novel is brutally honest. Spencer spares no detail, describing every party, every sex scene, and every drug related incident vividly. While it was sometimes uncomfortable to read, Death Punch’d is a story about overcoming life’s obstacles. It isn’t exactly a good one, but it is relatively interesting and occasionally funny.

Writing

Death Punch’d is an auto-biography, and since Spencer is a drummer and not a writer, my expectations were not set high.

Still, I was impressed by Jeremy Spencer’s overall writing ability. Sure, there and grammar mistakes and misspelled words throughout the entire novel, but if you don’t care about these mistakes, then they won’t subtract too much from the book.

Conclusion

Death Punch’d isn’t specifically about FFDP, so if you want to read a book about Five Finger, don’t read this one. However, if you want a poorly written book about the struggles of a now famous rock star, then this book is decent. I give Death Punch’d a 6.5/10.

Rock on.



No comments: