Wednesday, December 24, 2014

White Collar Final Season (6) Review



White Collar Final Season Review

Here we go boys. Another final season of a show that I love. It’s true that there was a time where I dreamed of being Neal Caffrey, conning my way to success.

There’s a certain allure to Caffrey’s character that I think everyone can find interest in.  Whether you love his good looks, or are jealous of his suaveness, everyone who has seen this show loves Neal, and the final season of White Collar sent him on his way appropriately.

SPOILER ALERT: Don’t read if you haven’t finished the final season yet.

Plot

Ah, the final con.

One last job.

It’s true that the whole “One last gig to end things” plot is used way too often in crime and theft movies. Even so, I can’t think of any other way one could have ended this series. The show is known for it’s cons and heists, so this season gave the people what they wanted.

As you probably know by now, Neal joins the “Pink Panthers” in an attempt to bring them down, prove his skill as a thief, and earn his freedom, all in one fell swoop. I thought the plan to make Neal’s freedom worth something tangible was a good idea, as it allowed me to have a clear goal in mind the entire season.

The season was a short one, but I think I prefer it this way. My only complaint about the pacing would be that the build up to the finale didn’t quite seem like...enough.

I really wanted something big from the final episodes. I wanted something really special. And although the final airport con was brilliant (the one with the tubes), it still wasn’t what I was looking for.

At this point I should address the elephant in the room: Neal Caffrey faking his death.

I hated this decision.

Why? Because I knew it was going to happen! The finale was so predictable that by the end of the episode, I was actually hoping that Neal was dead!

And why can’t he just die? It would have left a bigger impact on me than the loosely strung together faked death con.

In the end, I knew that Neal wasn’t dead.

I knew Keller was going to die.

Hell, I even predicted that El and Peter’s son would be named Neal (although that one was obvious)!

What I’m trying to say is I was disappointed. This show, in past seasons, has tricked me and had me confused time and time again. After all, that’s one of the most important qualities in every good heist story!

I just expected more.

Still, I think the finale sent Neal off on a good note, left every other character happy, and confirmed the fact that Neal Caffrey is the best of the best. Which I guess was their goal all along (?).

Acting/Dialogue

I’ve always felt like White Collar’s acting was a bit spotty in places. With the exception of Matt Bomer (Neal Caffrey) and Willie Garson (Mozzie), all the actors seems to be laying it on a little thick. Tim Dekay (Peter Burke) always seems on the verge of shouting his lines.
But hey, I’m no actor, so I can’t be too critical. They’re good enough.

As far as dialogue, while I never felt the absence of emotion, I often thought to myself: “That’s an odd way of saying that...”
It’s hard to explain, but heartfelt monologues in the show are sometimes compromised by poor word choice. Oh well…

Award Time!

Best Performance: Willie Garson as Mozzie

Best Episode: Uncontrolled Variables

Best Heist/Job: The Initiation Job

Conclusion

I’ve faithfully watched White Collar since the beginning, and while the direction the show went wasn’t exactly what I expected, I think the decision to let Neal return to his life of crime and earn his freedom was the right choice for the character. I give the final season of White Collar a 7.5/10.

Neal Caffrey, you will be missed.


No comments: