Saturday, December 20, 2014

Legend of Korra Series Finale Review: Giant Robot Death Machines and Romance!



Legend of Korra Series (Book 4) Finale


So here we are at last. The series finale. *sigh*


At this moment, I am experiencing a strange mixture of emotions. I am saddened by the fact that the show has reached its end, but there were many things the final episode(s) did that made this series one that I will remember for a long time.


Beware of SPOILERS ahead.


Story


If you don’t know, Book 4 revolved around Korra recovering from her battle with Zaheer, as well as stopping the dictatorial menace: Kuvira. Within the first few episodes, I was afraid that the show was going to have a hard time pacing itself while still resolving all the established plot lines.


I am happy to report that Book 4 of The Legend of Korra was a fantastic conclusion to the series, and left just enough open to interpretation for it to be interesting.


Note: I will be focusing on the events of the last two episodes during this summary.


I guess we’ll start with the literal giant robot in the room.
When I first saw Kuvira’s colossal mechanical robot death machine, I was not a fan. In my experience, battles in the Avatar universe against giant foes just don’t appeal to me as much as the normal one-on-one fights (Like the Giant Korra vs. Giant Vaatu/Ungalaq fight. Ugh).
Still, the death machine grew on me in these last two episodes, as it proved not only to be a respectable opponent for Team Avatar, but also a unique setting for some great fights. Once our heroes were able to enter the machine, things got really interesting.


I especially loved the fight between Korra and Kuvira in the command room. It was a nice contrast to the normal wide open space fights that we are used to.


Mako and Bolin’s appearances were great as well. Their team up in the engine room was almost like watching them back in the Pro-Bending Ring.


Anyway, at the end of the episode(s), Kuvira is defeated, Varrick and Zhu Li get married, and Korra and Asami fall in love.


Well, not exactly. Yes, Asami and Korra were portrayed in a way that would suggest that they could perhaps pursue a romantic relationship. While I think this may have been done mostly as a fan-service, I applaud the creators (and Nickelodeon) for releasing such progressive episode, especially in a show directed towards younger audiences.


I’m sure there will be a wide range of responses after this reveal. Honestly, I think the decision to put the relationship in the show was a good one. I think it’s good step in the right direction, especially after the whole censorship issue that just occurred with The Interview. Plus, It leaves room for expansion to the world.


Anyway, if I had to have one complaint about this season (which I do), it would be that the last episodes leave some relationships half-baked, Like Opal and Bolin. Then again, I don’t really care.


Art Style


LoK had a rough time even having four seasons. With the show being taken off television and put on the web, I’m sure the studio was desperate for funding. Maybe this is why I excuse the show for looking as terrible as it is. Some of the scenes look terrible, but I think the studio did the best with what they had. The most important scenes look great, and that’s all that matters.


Action


Book 4 offers the most and the best fight scenes of the entire series, if not the franchise. While none of them quite live up to the fight with Zaheer, I appreciate the creators for going all out on the final season.


Award Time!


Best Character: Kuvira (Still)


Best Fight: Taking down the Colossus (Specifically the part where they earthbend the building)


Best Episode: Beyond the Wilds (just because of Zaheer)


Best Relationship: Korrasami!!


Conclusion


So hey, this was a great show. While the series finale wasn’t everything I’d hoped it would be (because Appa’s spirit didn’t fly out of the spirit world and kill Kuvira), I thought it was a fitting end to the series. I give Book 4 of LoK and the entire series itself a 9/10.


We may never see anything else from the Avatar universe for a long time, if ever. We were lucky enough that Korra was made as it is! Still, I hope this isn’t the last we see of Team Avatar.


Friends, you will be missed.



And remember guys, let go your earthly tether. Enter the void, empty, and become wind.

No comments: